Get a free Top Ten ICD-10 Codes for Physical Therapy ICD-10 Cheat Sheet. The transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10 does not have to be hard. Most of the new choices come from additional laterality. Get a simple cheat sheet of the most commonly used ICD-9 codes and how they map to ICD-10 codes. Free Medical […]
Tag Archives | Cheat Sheet
Use this cheat sheet to aid your non-congenital valve disorder coding
|Code||Descriptor||Role of ‘Rheumatic’
|MITRAL VALVE ONLY
|394.0||Mitral stenosis||Use if specified as rheumatic or unspecified. If specified as non-rheumatic, use 424.0.|
|394.1||Rheumatic mitral insufficiency||Specific to rheumatic cases. For others, use 424.0.|
|394.2||Mitral stenosis with insufficiency||Use if specified as rheumatic or unspecified. If specified as non-rheumatic, use 424.0.|
|394.9||Other and unspecified mitral valve disease||Use if specified as rheumatic or unspecified. If specified as non-rheumatic, use 424.0.|
|424.0||Mitral valve disorders||Use if specified as non-rheumatic. Also use for mitral insufficiency of unspecified cause.|
|AORTIC VALVE ONLY|
|395.0||Rheumatic aortic stenosis||Specific to rheumatic cases. For others, use 424.1.|
|395.1||Rheumatic aortic insufficiency||Specific to rheumatic cases. For others, use 424.1.|
|395.2||Rheumatic aortic stenosis with insufficiency||Specific to rheumatic cases. For others, use 424.1.|
|395.9||Other and unspecified rheumatic aortic diseases||Specific to rheumatic cases. For others, use 424.1.|
|424.1||Aortic valve disorders||Use if specified as non-rheumatic or unspecified. If specified as rheumatic, see 395.x.|
|BOTH MITRAL AND AORTIC VALVES
Don’t let rumors of few ICD-9 changes in prep for ICD-10 blindside you to top diagnosis changes for 2011. Without the scoop on expansion to the 488, 784, and 787 categories, denials for invalid codes will derail your claims delaying your payments.
In ICD-9 2011, “Codes continue to become more and more specific necessitating a provider to document clearly and thoroughly to allow for selection of the most specific and accurate code,” says Jennifer Swindle, RHIT, CCS-P, CEMC, CFPC, CCP-P, PCS, Director Coding & Compliance Division, PivotHealth, LLC.
Good news: Updating your ICD-9 coding by the Oct. 1, 2010, effective date doesn’t have to be a chore. Start using your new choices in no time flat following these guidelines.
Look at Manifestation When Assigning “Swine Flu” Dx
This fall, when a patient has H1N1 (“swine flu”) pay attention to two details. The medical record will have to identify the correct influenza and you will have to capture the appropriate manifestation to select the codes to the degree of specificity now required, Swindle points out.
With the change “category 488 (Influenza due to certain identified influenza viruses) would mirror the structure of category 487 (Influenza),” according to the Summary of March 2010 ICD-9-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committee Meeting. The current 488.x sub-category didn’t provide the level of detail that category 487 (Influenza) does.
Change: There will be “tremendous expansion of the H1N1 category,” Swindle explains. ICD-9 2011 deletes 488.0 and 488.1 and adds six new five-digit codes. New codes 488.0x (Influenza due to identified avian influenza virus) and 488.1x (Influenza due to identified novel H1N1 influenza virus) allow you “to uniquely capture pneumonia, other respiratory manifestations, and other manifestations occurring with these types of influenza,” states the summary.
Knowing the differences between the tests is your key to proper code choice.
When your urologist says he performed urodynamics tests, you need to dig deeper into his documentation for clues about which code to report. Tack this overview up by your computer to help you quickly choose the right code every time.
• In a simple [...]
- Urology CPT 2010: 3 New Codes, 2 Deletions Change Your Urodynamics CodingUrodynamics income will go down by half, experts calculate. You will…
- CPT 2010 Update: Urogynecology CodingRemember, supervision requirements still apply to new codes. CPT 2010…
- Urology Coding: TURP, Urodynamics and Stone RemovalTURP 101: Use This Comprehensive Guide to Master TURP Coding…
- HRAA Responds to ICD-10 Delay April 11, 2014
- American Medical Association Won’t Sue To Block Release of Physician Records April 9, 2014
- Why You Should Carry On With ICD-10 Implementation April 8, 2014
- Fact: ICD-10 Will Benefit Medical Coders More Than ICD-9 April 7, 2014
- Date of ICD-10 Switch Still Uncertain April 3, 2014
- ICD-10 Will Affect All Specialties, Some More Than Others February 10, 2014
- House Approves Legislation – ICD-10 Might Be Delayed Again March 28, 2014
- ICD-10 Training: Start Early, Practice Often March 13, 2014
- AMA Releases Updated ICD-10 Implementation Costs for Physician Practices February 17, 2014
- Updated 2014 ICD-10 Implementation Costs Summary February 17, 2014
- Unfair to delay ICD 10: My daughter has been going to college for years t...
- ICD-10: This just isn\'t how the deal should go down | MedicalCodingNews.Org: […] you’re on that chair edge hoping Presi...
- ICD-10: This just isn’t how the deal should go down | scrubs and suits: […] you’re on that chair edge hoping Presi...
- House Approves Legislation – ICD-10 Might Be Delayed Again | scrubs and suits: […] According to the Washington Post, last m...
- House Approves Legislation - ICD-10 Might Be Delayed Again | MedicalCodingNews.Org: […] According to the Washington Post, last m...
- Unfair to delay ICD 10 on Date of ICD-10 Switch Still Uncertain
- ICD-10: This just isn't how the deal should go down | MedicalCodingNews.Org on House Approves Legislation – ICD-10 Might Be Delayed Again
- ICD-10: This just isn’t how the deal should go down | scrubs and suits on House Approves Legislation – ICD-10 Might Be Delayed Again
- House Approves Legislation – ICD-10 Might Be Delayed Again | scrubs and suits on ICD-10 Training: Start Early, Practice Often
- House Approves Legislation - ICD-10 Might Be Delayed Again | MedicalCodingNews.Org on ICD-10 Training: Start Early, Practice Often
- April 2014 (7)
- March 2014 (18)
- February 2014 (15)
- January 2014 (14)
- December 2013 (7)
- November 2013 (6)
- October 2013 (18)
- September 2013 (16)
- August 2013 (18)
- July 2013 (9)
- June 2013 (10)
- May 2013 (13)
- April 2013 (20)
- September 2012 (5)
- July 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (2)
- May 2012 (2)
- April 2012 (4)
- October 2011 (9)
- July 2011 (17)
- June 2011 (23)
- May 2011 (15)
- April 2011 (13)
- March 2011 (23)
- February 2011 (21)
- January 2011 (19)
- December 2010 (17)
- November 2010 (20)
- October 2010 (13)
- September 2010 (11)
- August 2010 (16)
- June 2010 (24)
- May 2010 (33)
- April 2010 (35)
- March 2010 (34)
- February 2010 (35)
- January 2010 (36)
- December 2009 (25)
- November 2009 (40)
- October 2009 (49)
- August 2009 (1)
- December 1969 (1)