Get a free Top Ten ICD-10 Codes for Physical Therapy ICD-10 Cheat Sheet. The transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10 does not have to be hard. Most of the new choices come from additional laterality. Get a simple cheat sheet of the most commonly used ICD-9 codes and how they map to ICD-10 codes. Free Medical […]
Tag Archives | Cheat Sheet
Use this cheat sheet to aid your non-congenital valve disorder coding
|Code||Descriptor||Role of ‘Rheumatic’
|MITRAL VALVE ONLY
|394.0||Mitral stenosis||Use if specified as rheumatic or unspecified. If specified as non-rheumatic, use 424.0.|
|394.1||Rheumatic mitral insufficiency||Specific to rheumatic cases. For others, use 424.0.|
|394.2||Mitral stenosis with insufficiency||Use if specified as rheumatic or unspecified. If specified as non-rheumatic, use 424.0.|
|394.9||Other and unspecified mitral valve disease||Use if specified as rheumatic or unspecified. If specified as non-rheumatic, use 424.0.|
|424.0||Mitral valve disorders||Use if specified as non-rheumatic. Also use for mitral insufficiency of unspecified cause.|
|AORTIC VALVE ONLY|
|395.0||Rheumatic aortic stenosis||Specific to rheumatic cases. For others, use 424.1.|
|395.1||Rheumatic aortic insufficiency||Specific to rheumatic cases. For others, use 424.1.|
|395.2||Rheumatic aortic stenosis with insufficiency||Specific to rheumatic cases. For others, use 424.1.|
|395.9||Other and unspecified rheumatic aortic diseases||Specific to rheumatic cases. For others, use 424.1.|
|424.1||Aortic valve disorders||Use if specified as non-rheumatic or unspecified. If specified as rheumatic, see 395.x.|
|BOTH MITRAL AND AORTIC VALVES
Don’t let rumors of few ICD-9 changes in prep for ICD-10 blindside you to top diagnosis changes for 2011. Without the scoop on expansion to the 488, 784, and 787 categories, denials for invalid codes will derail your claims delaying your payments.
In ICD-9 2011, “Codes continue to become more and more specific necessitating a provider to document clearly and thoroughly to allow for selection of the most specific and accurate code,” says Jennifer Swindle, RHIT, CCS-P, CEMC, CFPC, CCP-P, PCS, Director Coding & Compliance Division, PivotHealth, LLC.
Good news: Updating your ICD-9 coding by the Oct. 1, 2010, effective date doesn’t have to be a chore. Start using your new choices in no time flat following these guidelines.
Look at Manifestation When Assigning “Swine Flu” Dx
This fall, when a patient has H1N1 (“swine flu”) pay attention to two details. The medical record will have to identify the correct influenza and you will have to capture the appropriate manifestation to select the codes to the degree of specificity now required, Swindle points out.
With the change “category 488 (Influenza due to certain identified influenza viruses) would mirror the structure of category 487 (Influenza),” according to the Summary of March 2010 ICD-9-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committee Meeting. The current 488.x sub-category didn’t provide the level of detail that category 487 (Influenza) does.
Change: There will be “tremendous expansion of the H1N1 category,” Swindle explains. ICD-9 2011 deletes 488.0 and 488.1 and adds six new five-digit codes. New codes 488.0x (Influenza due to identified avian influenza virus) and 488.1x (Influenza due to identified novel H1N1 influenza virus) allow you “to uniquely capture pneumonia, other respiratory manifestations, and other manifestations occurring with these types of influenza,” states the summary.
Knowing the differences between the tests is your key to proper code choice.
When your urologist says he performed urodynamics tests, you need to dig deeper into his documentation for clues about which code to report. Tack this overview up by your computer to help you quickly choose the right code every time.
• In a simple [...]
- Urology CPT 2010: 3 New Codes, 2 Deletions Change Your Urodynamics CodingUrodynamics income will go down by half, experts calculate. You will…
- CPT 2010 Update: Urogynecology CodingRemember, supervision requirements still apply to new codes. CPT 2010…
- Urology Coding: TURP, Urodynamics and Stone RemovalTURP 101: Use This Comprehensive Guide to Master TURP Coding…
- Who Was Behind The ICD-10 Delay June 10, 2014
- CMS Should Create Public Health EHR Readiness Database June 14, 2014
- Why Healthcare Providers Are Concerned About The CMS Data Dump June 11, 2014
- ICD-10 Test Results Post 89 Percent Acceptance Rate June 9, 2014
- The New ASC ICD-10 Implementation Timeline June 6, 2014
- AAFP, Others Push Back on Proposed Changes in CPT Code Valuation Process August 20, 2014
- Responding to Physician Criticism of ICD-10 August 19, 2014
- 5 Reasons Health Insurance Didn’t Pay Your Bill August 18, 2014
- AMA Calls On CMS To Delay Publication Of The Sunshine Act Database August 16, 2014
- CMS Fixes Tech Glitch That Hobbled Pharma Payment Disclosures August 15, 2014
- Alicia: All of these issues described are reasons why medi...
- Coding Nicotine Dependence in ICD-10 | scrubs and suits: […] post Coding Nicotine Dependence in ICD-1...
- jitendra medical coding: yes i agree with the specificity about the icd 10 ...
- jitendra medical coding: with the implementation of so many new codes, may ...
- ICD-10 Myths Part 2: Coding Specificity | scrubs and suits: […] post ICD-10 Myths Part 2: Coding Specifi...