A year ahead of the Oct. 1, 2015, compliance deadline for implementing the ICD-10 code set, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has announced three weeks that will be dedicated to helping physicians test whether their claims will be accepted in the Medicare claims processing system. While you should be able to begin […]
Tag Archives | ICD-10
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ initial testing of updated medical diagnosis codes that will be required at health care payers and providers next year proved to be successful, according to Niall Brennan, the acting director of CMS Offices of Enterprise Management. The updated codes, ICD-10, replace ICD-9 to bring the U.S. up to […]
A delay in requiring all providers of medical care to use a new health-records and billing system to describe treatments is giving small medical offices major headaches. Billing is a big task for small medical practices. It takes time away from patient care and requires extra staff. A federal mandate requiring doctors to adopt a […]
Providers, payers and claims clearinghouses can look for no relief from the looming, Oct. 1 compliance deadline for the nationwide conversion to the ICD-10 family of diagnostic and procedural codes, the head of the CMS said Thursday. But some case-by-case exemptions will be made for providers having a tough time meeting their Stage 2 meaningful-use […]
A new resource is available for small practices as they prepare to switch to the ICD-10 coding system. Officials from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) launched a new website – Road to ICD-10 – to provide a central source of basic information as well as a place to start transitioning to the […]
With the transition to ICD-10 fast approaching, many want to know if they need to know ICD-9 and ICD-10. The short answer is yes. ICD-9 is not going away completely and for you to have a complete understanding of ICD-10 it is best to know ICD-9 too. Where Should I Begin? There are three important […]
From patient accounting systems to sticky notes and “cheat sheets” posted in exam rooms, ICD-9 codes permeate the health care environment, translating the information in medical records to numbers on claim forms and ensuring that providers get paid for the care they give. But all those old codes have to be rooted out and replaced […]
Mark your calendars — the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) announced it will conduct front-end testing of ICD-10 billing code submission between Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) and providers. That means CMS will be testing how well the system works from the provider’s side — that is, how easily and accurately providers can submit […]
- Unintended Benefit of ICD-10 Delay: Faster Innovations? August 12, 2014
- ICD-10 Myths Part 2: Coding Specificity July 8, 2014
- ICD-10 and DSM-5: The Language and Coding Conundrums July 29, 2014
- How To Spot 8 Common Medical Billing Errors August 14, 2014
- CMS Fixes Tech Glitch That Hobbled Pharma Payment Disclosures August 15, 2014
- 6 Questions You Should Ask Before Paying Any Medical Bill September 30, 2014
- Pharma Pushes CMS for Transparency on Sunshine Database September 29, 2014
- Understanding Proper Use of Time-Based Coding and Billing September 24, 2014
- The Harder You Work, The More Dangerous it Becomes September 23, 2014
- New ICD-10 Coding System May Cloud Hospital Safety September 17, 2014
- Tammie Olson: I believe this article may be a bit misleading. I...
- A Guide to Negotiating Medical Bills | scrubs and suits: […] post A Guide to Negotiating Medical Bill...
- Will Your ICD-10 Claims Be Accepted? CMS Designates Testing Weeks | scrubs and suits: […] post Will Your ICD-10 Claims Be Accepted...
- ICD-10 Coding For Pregnancy Complications | scrubs and suits: […] post ICD-10 Coding For Pregnancy Complic...
- The Role of Claims Data in HealthIT: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly | scrubs and suits: […] post The Role of Claims Data in HealthIT...